Baked Eggs in Roasted Tomatoes
Looking for a new breakfast, brunch, or dinner dish? Look no further. This is my recipe for baked eggs in roasted tomatoes. Roasting tomatoes brings forth an extra pop of flavor, the eggs are warm, and the dill adds a cross hint of lemon and fennel.
6 large organic tomatoes (or one per person)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon baby dill (for garnishing after roasting)
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
6 large organic eggs
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit or 204 degrees Celsius.
2. Gently wash tomatoes and dry.
3. Use a serrated knife to cut the top third off of each tomato on a cutting board.
4. Remove the core and seeds inside each tomato using a small spoon and paring knife.
5. Measure and cut parchment paper to cover a baking sheet.
6. Place the tomatoes on the parchment inside the baking sheet.
7. Drizzle the tomatoes with the extra virgin olive oil.
8. Sprinkle the sea salt on the tomatoes.
9. Sprinkle the baby dill on the tomatoes.
10. Evenly sprinkle chopped garlic on tomatoes.
11. Place the baking sheet with tomatoes in the oven and roast for approximately 30 minutes, until tomatoes are caramelized.
12. Crack each egg one at a time into a small bowl, check that each is good--the albumen should not be runny or watery.
13. Open the oven door and use oven mitts to pull out the rack and gently transfer one egg into each tomato, remember to be cautious with the heat of the baking sheet and baking rack.
14. Sprinkle salt and pepper on to each egg.
15. Use oven mitts to push back the rack and close the oven door.
16. Bake eggs in tomatoes for approximately 7 to 10 minutes, baking time will depend upon oven, egg, and tomato size.
17. Garnish the top of each tomato with a snippet of baby dill leaves.