Cheesy Caprese Sandwich
Simple. Simple. Simple. This caprese (kəˈprāzi) sandwich is peppery and easy to prepare. The not so secret magic is the necessity to use the best quality ingredients. Fresh bread, firm tomato, and bright looking basil is key. The crumbly, mild queso fresco (Mexican cheese) marries well with the spiciness of the basil and black pepper.
2 slices rustic sourdough bread
1. Remove cheese from the refrigerator 1 hour prior to use.
2. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius).
3. Coat a grill with cooking spray.
4. Pre-heat grill, remove bread slices from packaging, then place on grill until golden
brown and there are grill marks on the bread slices. (Ensure both sides of each bread slice get golden brown.)
5. Place cheese slices on one of the slices of bread.
6. Place cheese covered bread slice on a parchment lined sheet pan.
7. Place in oven until cheese is melted, 2 to 4 minutes.
8. While cheese is melting in the oven, snip, wash, and dry basil.
9. Wash, dry, and slice tomato.
10. Use an oven mitt to remove the bread slice from the oven.
11. Place slices of tomato and basil leaves on melted cheese, add a pinch of black pepper.
12. Top with the other slice of grilled bread, serve immediately.
Join the Jesse Bluma at Pointe Viven circle: