Red O Restaurant Review
Rick Bayless is a master of the culinary arts of Mexico. His recipes and programs have provided those like myself with great instruction. I first dined at Red O in Los Angeles, California for a friend’s birthday dinner. Subsequently, I have dined at the location in Newport Beach, California on several occasions. The name Red O originates from the owners of the restaurant, Richard Teasta and Mike Dobson. Teasta worked for the one time chain of restaurants named Red Onion.
“Dining at Red O is an experience like no other – offering a unique combination of Prime Steak and Seafood with Rick Bayless’ signature Mexican inspired influences. By sourcing local and sustainable ingredients, Red O creates flavorful dishes with a mindset on quality while still being true to the flavors of Mexico.”
1. Valet parking is available at each location. You may wish to use the valet at the Los Angeles location, as parking is a challenge to find. On busy nights consider taking a taxi or car service.
2. Peak times occur during week days and nights, especially weekend nights. You may wish to visit for lunch as soon as they open on a weekend. Make sure to make reservations.
3. On the dinner menu I have enjoyed the following dishes.
- Cochinita Pibil: Suckling pig (achiote-marinated and slow-cooked in banana leaves), black beans, arugula salad, roasted habanero salsa. [Achiote: seeds from a flower turned into a red paste and commonly used in Mexican and South American cuisine.]
- Braised Short Rib Enchiladas: Red guajillo chile sauce, melted Monterey Jack cheese, frisee, Mexican red rice, and black beans. [Guajillo: a mild chili pepper]
4. On the weekend brunch menu I have enjoyed the following dishes.
- Huevos Rancheros: Two eggs cooked to order, fresh baked white corn tortillas, black beans, and fresh cheese. Choice of Guajillo or Creamy Tomatillo sauce, and with choice of toppings.
- Pancakes: Stone ground corn pancakes, whipped goat cheese, organic syrup, pecanwood-smoked bacon, and two eggs cooked to order.
- Endless Cocktails: Tequila Sunrises, Bloody Marys, House Margaritas, Red and White Sangria, Mimosas. The ability to order each is an exceptional option.
5. The chips and variety of salsas are full flavored.
Gourmet treats by Jesse Bluma at PointeViven
using organic ingredients and inspiration
from California, Central, and South America.
Join the Pointe Viven circle
Sign-up for email updates.