The Ten Unknown Foods Quiz
* Record your answers and check the answer key at the end of the quiz.
1. A. Ambergris or B. Melon Berry
Hint: This food is produced in the intestines of whales and is harvested from the surface of the ocean.
2. A. Aronia or B. Ambergris
Hint: This berry is high in antioxidants, can be used to make jam, and is not sweet.
3. A. Casu Marzu cheese or B. Paraná pine nut bread
Hint: This originated from Sardinia and is produced by being left outside where flies lay eggs on it, larvae develop, the larvae develop into maggots and digest this food into a soft Pecorino.
4. A. Chayote or B. Etoyahc
Hint: This is a popular fruit in Central America, rich in vitamin C, and known as christophine in the country of France.
5. A. Cherimoya fruit or B. Brazilian artichokes
Hint: This food has a mixed flavor of banana, pineapple, papaya, peach, and strawberry.
6. A. White eel or B. Gooeyduck
Hint: This seafood is found off the coast of America and Canada, this clam has one of the longest lifespans on Earth, and has a savory flavor.
7. A. Corn fruit or B. Finger lime
Hint: Inhabits the Australian continent, has a tangy flavor, and are a good replacement for lemons in baked goods.
8. A. Sea urchin fruit or B. Paraná pine nuts
Hint: These seeds are safe for consumption and largely grown in southern Brazil.
9. Wapwap (Animisa) or B. Pawpaw (Asimina)
Hint: This fruit is native to America, was cultivated by American Indians, and has a mixed flavor of banana and mango.
10. A. Rooibos or B. Yerba maté
Hint: Contains caffeine, used to make a tea from South American holly trees, and contains many vitamins.
The Ten Unknown Foods Quiz: Answer Key
Artisanal goods by Jesse Bluma at PointeViven
using organic ingredients and inspiration
from California, Central, and South America.
Join the Pointe Viven circle
sign-up for email updates.
photos 1-10 source: wikipedia.org