I recently had the pleasure of meeting executive Chef Tony Corke of Chaparosa Grill. I learned how to make the leek and fennel recipe below as well as a few others from him. Chef Tony is originally from England and his extensive stay in the Caribbean serves as inspiration for his menu.
Recipe: Leek and Fennel Flatbread
by Chef Tony Corke, Chaparosa Grill
*Revised steps by Jesse Bluma
4 7” pita folds (flat bread, no pockets)
8 ounces parmesan cheese
1 leek, chopped to be sauteed
1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced to be sauteed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon diced garlic
4 ounces whole grain dijon mustard
1 tablespoon sambuca (Italian licorice flavor liqueur)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
2. Chop and saute the leek and fennel together, place in a saute pan on the stove.
* Tip: Dice the fennel bulb like an onion, save the leaves.
To saute the chopped leek and sliced fennel use 1 tablespoon olive oil, sprinkle of sea salt, 1/2 lemon squeezed, olive oil, salt, lemon over medium-high heat, the leek and fennel will caramelize in about 10 minutes time.
3. Flambe with sambuca.
* Tip: Warm alcohol ignites better than cold. The sambuca can be heated in a microwave bowl for 30 seconds before using. Do not pour alcohol into the pan from the bottle, this causes explosions. Ensure there is nothing to catch fire or melt above the pan. Pour the warmed sambuca into the pan. Ignite the liqueur with a long match. The flame will die out.
4. Spread pita folds/flatbread with whole grain dijon mustard.
5. Divide the leek and fennel mixture evenly over the pita folds/flatbread.
6. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
7. Place on baking sheet in oven at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 5-8 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the bread is warm with crisp edges.
8. Remove from oven and on to cutting surface. Slice the bread into 4 equal slices.
9. Sprinkle with chopped fennel leaves.
10. Divide between 4 serving plates.
Pointe Viven - Jesse Bluma. All rights reserved.
To check out Chaparosa Grill click here.
To order gourmet cookies and cupcakes from Pointe Viven click here.