Translate

Search Jesse Bluma at Pointe Viven Blog

Browse Cookery Articles

Browse Culture Articles

Browse Community Articles

Click here to subscribe for free email updates, thank you.

Click here to subscribe for free email updates, thank you.

Mother's Day



Mother's Day




Holidays are a tricky thing.  Do we wait to celebrate, honor, or show our appreciation until the actual day or should we celebrate every day?  The latter is best.  No, that does not mean you have to leave up your Christmas tree all year long.   




"The Lanyard" - Billy Collins



The other day I was ricocheting slowly
off the blue walls of this room,
moving as if underwater from typewriter to piano,
from bookshelf to an envelope lying on the floor,
when I found myself in the L section of the dictionary
where my eyes fell upon the word lanyard.

No cookie nibbled by a French novelist
could send one into the past more suddenly—
a past where I sat at a workbench at a camp
by a deep Adirondack lake
learning how to braid long thin plastic strips
into a lanyard, a gift for my mother.

I had never seen anyone use a lanyard
or wear one, if that’s what you did with them,
but that did not keep me from crossing
strand over strand again and again
until I had made a boxy
red and white lanyard for my mother.

She gave me life and milk from her breasts,
and I gave her a lanyard.
She nursed me in many a sick room,
lifted spoons of medicine to my lips,
laid cold face-cloths on my forehead,
and then led me out into the airy light

and taught me to walk and swim,
and I, in turn, presented her with a lanyard.
Here are thousands of meals, she said,
and here is clothing and a good education.
And here is your lanyard, I replied,
which I made with a little help from a counselor.

Here is a breathing body and a beating heart,
strong legs, bones and teeth,
and two clear eyes to read the world, she whispered,
and here, I said, is the lanyard I made at camp.
And here, I wish to say to her now,
is a smaller gift—not the worn truth

that you can never repay your mother,
but the rueful admission that when she took
the two-tone lanyard from my hand,
I was as sure as a boy could be
that this useless, worthless thing I wove
out of boredom would be enough to make us even.

Included in his book The Trouble with Poetry.




Author Nancy Robinson wrote more than 20 books before dying of cancer at age 51.  Mom, You're Fired! is a dynamic book to read at any age.  One to read with you child of any age.  




"Unfortunately, a lot of people are made to suffer as children: beatings, rapes, torture, abandonment, neglect, parental divorce and subsequent remarriage with new or stepchildren to compete with, alcoholic or drug-addicted parent(s), erratic and even dangerous consequences of parental mental illness, browbeatings, parental insensitivity, psychological and emotional assaults, parental affairs, constant family turmoil, molestations, familial violence, single parent by choice or irresponsibility, and so forth. They are definitely victims of self-centered, evil, ignorant, and/or weak adults; and, for me, weakness or ignorance do not excuse the resultant harm."  - Dr. Schlessinger, Bad Childhood---Good Life





Join the Jesse Bluma at Pointe Viven circle:


Credit: www.billy-collins.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join Me: Subscribe for Email Updates

Join Me: Subscribe for Email Updates Jesse Bluma at Pointe Viven. All rights reserved. Jesse Bluma at Point Viven libera...

About

taste in cookery, culture, and
community, provides gourmet goods
made with organic ingredients, inspired
by the culinary worlds of California,
Central, and South America, and
engages in a community of customers
and readers with lifestyle content,
reviews, and expertise. © Jesse Bluma at Pointe Viven

Shop Jesse Bluma at Pointe Viven

Panasonic
button

Search

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protectedwhat can i copyright

Print

Amazon Associate Disclaimer

Jesse Bluma at Pointe Viven is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop Jesse Bluma at Pointe Viven

© Jesse Bluma at Pointe Viven

Jesse Bluma at PointeViven

My photo
Jesse Bluma at Point Viven liberates taste in cookery, culture, and community, provides gourmet goods made with organic ingredients, inspired by the culinary worlds of California, Central, and South America, and engages in a community of customers and readers with lifestyle content, reviews, and expertise. Use and redistribution of original content allowed only with explicit permission of site owner and author.